Frequently Asked Questions

Q. Do my carers qualify for sick pay?

Employees may be entitled to Statutory Sick Pay (SSP) if they:

  • Are sick for more than three consecutive days
  • And earn above the Lower earnings limit (For 2018/19 Tax year this is £116.00 per week or £503.00 per month.).

The current rate of SSP is £92.05 per week (tax year 2018/ 2019), and can be paid instead of or as part of their normal rate of pay, at your discretion.

Q. Do my carers qualify for holiday pay?

Yes. Current legislation provides that employees are entitled to a minimum 5.6 weeks holiday per year. (4 weeks plus the banks holidays). This means each employee is allowed 5.6 weeks paid leave at their normal hours (full time employees get 5.6 weeks at full time hours, part-time employees get 5.6 weeks at part time hours)

Employees that work irregular hours are trickier to calculate this way as hours can change from week to week. We recommend that holiday is accrued on hours worked. The calculation for this is 12.07% of all hours work. Fortunately we have an online form that clients can use to k calculate this for you, and keep track of holiday taken. Please contact us for more information.

Q. Should my employer pay me for working on bank holidays?

You do not have a statutory right to paid holiday on bank and public holidays. If your employer gives paid holiday on a bank or public holiday, then this can count towards your minimum holiday entitlement (see above).

There are eight permanent bank and public holidays in England and Wales (nine in Scotland and ten in Northern Ireland).

If you work on a bank or public holiday, there is no automatic right to an enhanced pay rate. What you get paid depends on your contract of employment.

If you are part time and your employer gives workers additional time off on bank holidays, this should be given pro rata to you as well, even if the bank holiday does not fall on your usual work day.

Q. Does my carer need to complete a tax return?

No, providing all their income comes from employment. However, if they are a live-in employee and they own a flat or house, which they rent out, then they do need to complete a tax return.

Q. My carer is pregnant; do I need to pay them maternity pay?

If they meet the qualifying conditions you will need to pay them statutory maternity pay.

Your employee must meet the following conditions to receive SMP:

  • Worked for you continuously – full or part-time – for at least 26 weeks up to and into the 15th week before the week the baby’s due.
  • Average earnings at least equal to the Lower Earnings Limit for NICs – £116 a week or £503 a month for 2018/19 tax year.
  • Given you the right paperwork confirming the pregnancy(MATB1 or doctors letter confirming birth) and sufficient notice of when they would like the SMP payments to start.
  • For the first six weeks you must pay your employee SMP at the rate of 90 per cent of their average weekly earnings.
  • For the following 33 weeks you must pay them either £145.18 –(rate from April 2018) or 90 per cent of their average weekly earnings whichever is lower.

If your employee does not meet these conditions they do not qualify for SMP but do qualify for Maternity leave. You will need to give them a form (SMP1) and they may be able to claim Maternity allowance through the DWP.

Whilst we like to keep all our clients informed, and will answer all your questions, we will make all the calculations on your behalf, and tell you what is required. We do not expect our clients to make the assessments – that’s what we are here for.

If you do have a query please contact us, and we will be happy to assist you.

how it works

USPS infographic